For my English class we are exploring the use of metaphors to describe a poet, the object of our analysis, in many different lights hoping to convey knowledge about the kind of individual they were or the life they led.
Here is my attempt at analyzing the famous individual Sylvia Plath through many different unrelated ideas or things.
- If she were to be an animal she would be a skunk, always looked with a negative misconception, but also because it is a creature that can be aggressive when it wants to be but doesn’t always feel the need to be. Plath can show her aggression and passion, but doesn’t always feel the need to express that through her writing.
- If she were a plant she would be a cactus, beautiful in its own unique, prickly qualities not always favorable but understood by some. Plath demonstrates the same harsh qualities as this prickly plant, but she also parallels to the fact that cacti survive in harsh isolated condition, they fight much harder to escape death something strongly connected to her character.
- If she were an article of clothing she would be a raincoat, durable to the cold and rain and storm, a thin layer between comfort and discomfort. Plath’s persona rests on this edge between hard depressing places and overcoming them just barely like a rain coat does in preventing/ protecting from the environment.
- If she were a day of the week she would be a Sunday, the day at the end the last stop that we fall to in exhaustion from the busy week. Plath would most resonate with this last day, the end of the line, a peace after the hardships just endured.
- If she were a food she would be a green apple. Sometimes appealing in its sour shocking taste, but sometimes overpowering in its dramatic effect in your mouth with an overpowering sensation.
- If she were a color she would be navy, dark and gloomy, sometimes paired with happy colors to provide an appealing combination, but generally characterized with a solemn depressing feel.
- If she were a geometric shape she would be a triangle, hard to fit around/with other shapes. Plath demonstrates the same sharp edged personality and the same difficulty in fitting closely to the likeness of other people or shapes.
- If she were a fragrance she would be lime, a scent used to cover up the bad smell of corpses and very strongly odorous dead things. Plath deals with struggling to keep these ideas/ realities hidden from the outside world and does a fairly good job of covering up such indelicacies but still it can show through in her character and in her writing.
- If she were a type of building she would be a hospital as she spent a great deal of her time and life in one.
- if she were a word she would be pain, because she underwent so much in her life whether it be physical, emotional, or spiritual. Plath suffered a lot throughout and it definitely is apparent in her persona and writing.
- If she were a musical instrument she would be a flute as she can play a sweet happy tune and also a calming sad and melancholy tune.
- If she were a season of the year she would be fall, beautiful but also representing a time of dying and falling apart before the cold winds blow in. There is something beautiful in the gradual decay of the world in fall, and the same can be said for viewing the life of Sylvia Plath.
- If she were an appliance or machinery she would be a knife, effective in its job but also a tool that could inflict pain and suffering. It doesn’t have to be used with such negative purposes but definitely could cause pain if it intended just as Plath deals with pain and the sharpness with which she addresses the world around her.
- If she were a natural phenomenon she would be a tsunami, a dramatic devastating wave ending the life of many things while also paving the way for new life to recreate in the place of destruction and brokenness. Plath although destructive to herself and others in her decisions that she made, did pave a path for inspiring writers and people coming up behind her.
- If she were a literary character she would be Hamlet, fighting and triumphing over many things in life and influencing many lives around her, but in the end ending her own life and leaving legacy and story behind her.